Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Surviving the transition from winter to spring

We've entered the time of year when everyone is getting tired of the dirty snow, the rain, the gray skies, the mud and the cold weather.  Even John has admitted he's tired of the snow... and that's saying something!  But with this slow transition from winter to spring has come some downtime that has been quite enjoyable.  I haven't filled up our days with too many activities away from home.  Instead, we've settled into a slower routine, read a lot of books, played a lot of dragons, checkers and hide-and-seek, and worked on a few projects.

IMG_0309

We all seem to migrate to the couch by the window when the sun is out.

IMG_0319

I don't think the kids are used to seeing me lay down so much.  But I could get used to this.

IMG_0325

Even Will will lay still for a few... seconds.

IMG_0337

Many forts have been built in our front room.

IMG_0387

And many games of checkers have been played.

IMG_0353

And of course I can't lie around all day long... this is the time of year when I do the most sewing.  I have about 10 projects floating around in my head, it's just a matter of deciding which ones I should actually do, what I actually have time for.  Currently a jean picnic blanket is in the works (don't look too close, I'm a beginner quilter).

IMG_0354

Our wheat grass continues to grow.  Yes wheat!  It's actually growing!  Who would have thought.  A couple days more and we'll transplant them into something better looking.

IMG_0351

Our garden plans have begun.  We made garden markers last year for Pete's mom but never got around to making our own.  We'll use a wood burner to trace the letters, then nail the signs to stakes.  Even though planting most of the garden won't happen for a couple of months, just the thought of it is exciting.

IMG_0347

IMG_0349

What do you do to survive this time of year?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...